Did You Know?
- The German Shepherd Dog is distinguished for loyalty, courage, and the ability to assimilate and retain training for a number of special services; he is not pugnacious, as his reputation posits him to be, but a bold and punishing fighter if need be.
- The German Shepherd Dog is one of the most popular and recognizable breeds of the AKC.
- German Shepherd Dogs are utilized often as police dogs, service dogs, agility dogs, conformation animals, obedience dogs, and sentinels. Their high trainability and extreme loyalty and commitment make them an excellent choice for any agenda.
- In terms of show presentation, the German Shepherd Dog has a unique stack or “pose”, featuring one rear leg under the body and one extended, as opposed to conventional “square” stacks (parallel front and rear) or extended stacks.
- The German Shepherd Dog has been in the public eye and media many times, recognizable as “Rin Tin Tin” and other canine characters.
- The German Shepherd Dog does not give affection lightly and is known for his dignity and stature; it is also known as a “one-man” breed for its tendency to display serious loyalty and fidelity, especially to its owner or main caretaker.
2012 American Kennel Club